[parisc-linux] 2.4.20-pa27 64bits smp problem!

Matthew Wilcox willy@debian.org
Wed, 26 Feb 2003 20:37:22 +0000

On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 01:58:57PM -0500, John David Anglin wrote:
> > Would I have to open a bug report near gcc with this one?
>
> You mean for the errors:
>
> joel.c:19: error: initializer element is not constant
> joel.c:19: error: (near initialization for `MyRWLock')
> joel.c:19: error: initializer element is not constant
>
> No, fix the code.  I don't believe you will win this one.  This
> feature (extension) was deliberately removed from GCC.

I think it was an error to do so.  I do not see how

	(spinlock_t) { 1 }

is any more or less constant than

	{ 1 }

Removing this extension is a bad idea because it removes the ability to
do typechecking.  For example,

	rwlock_t lock = SPIN_LOCK_INIT;

would throw an error with a cast and not without.