[parisc-linux] Watchdog on parisc?

Jan-Benedict Glaw jbglaw@lug-owl.de
Sun, 16 Feb 2003 10:42:35 +0100

--f5QefDQHtn8hx44O

On Sun, 2003-02-16 01:31:10 -0700, Grant Grundler <grundler@dsl2.external.h=
p.com>
wrote in message <20030216083110.GC18888@dsl2.external.hp.com>:
> On Fri, Feb 14, 2003 at 07:11:24PM +0100, Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:
> > Hi!
> >=20
> > I'm currently playing a bit with my B132L and 715. They're working quite
> > nice, except that kernels aren't too stable (gcc-3.2, I'll do some more
> > test compiles with gcc-3.0, too).
>=20
> gcc-3.2.1 has a few bugs that have bitten us already (search mail
> archive on "pty.c"). I'm not sure if it's better to stick with
> gcc 3.0 or grab something that's bleeding edge (gcc 3.3.x).

Yeah, I know. I followed that thread. gcc-3.0 seems to produce a more
stable kernel, but even there are some gotchas (eg. strace'ing programs
often leads to stuck userland while I still can ping the box or complete
the three-way-handshake of a starting TCP connection...).

I'd possibly spend some time in invensting this...

> > I've looked through the docs available if a watchdog is mentioned. In
> > ./docs/platforms/b1xx-service.pdf there's a watchdog timeout error
> > declared (during selftest) so I *think* there is a watchdog, isn't
> > there?
>=20
> I'm not sure what this is refering to. The CPU has some HW checking
> that is a sort of watchdog but it's CPU internal and only the firmware
> touches those.

So there's nothing what's like a watchdog as you know it from some
machines (SGI Indys for example) or as add-on cards in machines (PCI/ISA
cards).

> > I've not yet seen a driver for it, nor have I seen any
> > documentation. Is there a watchdog (and possibly some docu or an hpux
> > vmunix to disassemble) so I could possibly write something better than
> > softdog.c?
>=20
> not if it's what I'm thinking of (transaction timeout, ie causes an
> HPMC). This is a built-in HW feature.=20

Hmmm... Triggering a HPMC would be a neat feature. So we could think
about a way to initiate something that, if not handled, would trigger a
HPMC some 60 seconds later:-?

MfG, JBG

--=20
   "Eine Freie Meinung in  einem Freien Kopf    | Gegen Zensur
    fuer einen Freien Staat voll Freier B=FCrger" | im Internet!
   Shell Script APT-Proxy: http://lug-owl.de/~jbglaw/software/ap2/

--f5QefDQHtn8hx44O

--f5QefDQHtn8hx44O--