[parisc-linux] Re: Added a new SCSI disk, hda became hdb

Matthew Wilcox willy@debian.org
Sun, 24 Aug 2003 22:42:12 +0100

On Sun, Aug 24, 2003 at 04:38:57PM -0400, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
> Put the disks in the reverse order?
>
> An example is that any A500 or rp2430 labels the drives as 'scsia' and
> 'scsib', but linux finds them in the reverse order. When only one drive is
> in 'scsia' it's sda, but when a second drive is added to 'scsib' the
> order is reversed ('scsia' becomes sdb and 'scsib' becomes sda).

This is because HPUX uses the ANSI-approved scan order -- 7,6,5,...,0
and Linux uses the PC-compatible scan order -- 0,1,2,...,7.  It's kind
of possible to control it by setting shost->reverse_ordering but it's
not easy to set this in any reasonable way.