[parisc-linux] Re: Problems with kernel mmap (failing tst-mmap-eofsync in glibc on parisc)

David S. Miller davem@redhat.com
Sat, 23 Aug 2003 15:53:12 -0700

On 23 Aug 2003 17:21:21 -0500
James Bottomley <James.Bottomley@SteelEye.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 2003-08-23 at 16:43, David S. Miller wrote:
> > On 22 Aug 2003 20:09:30 -0500
> > James Bottomley <James.Bottomley@SteelEye.com> wrote:
> >
> > > To avoid having to flush the non-shared mappings (basically on parisc if
> > > you write to a file backing a MAP_PRIVATE mapping then we don't
> > > guarantee you see the update).

BTW, what gains to you really get from this optimization?

How often do writes happen to files while private mappings
to it exist? :-)  This is one of the reasons I think this
discussion is a bit silly.

What specific cases does your optimization help, and how common is it?
Show us some numbers.