[parisc-linux] Re: [glibc] fixing delayed exceptions in hppa

Sat, 23 Aug 2003 12:12:07 -0400 (EDT)

> On Fri, Aug 22, 2003 at 04:24:19PM -0400, John David Anglin wrote:
> > Based on what Jim Hull said, I believe that would be better.  I was using
> >
> >   "fldd 0(%%sr0,%%sp),%0" : "=f" (d) : "0" (d)
> >
> > There isn't a true dependency in the above but I believe that any load
> > to the destination register will raise the exception.
>
> Dave, I'm sorry if you sent me a patch and I dropped it :( Did I ever
> receive a diff for this from you?

I can't recall but I probably did send it last November.  My email
machine is still down because of the blackout.

> It's rather vague at times because the spec says "or an operation which
> depends on a pending, trapping insn." I think DHD, and perhaps myself
> got caught up on the "load or store" which probably means only
> register->memory (memory->register too) and not register->register.

Yes.  If you follow the thread that I sent you, Jim Hull comments on
this and offers a rewrite of the sentence that you quoted.  I believe
that referencing memory is important as this makes the operation visible
to another processor.  A register->register operation doesn't do this.

Dave