[parisc-linux] Re: Problems with kernel mmap (failing tst-mmap-eofsync in glibc on parisc)

Randolph Chung Randolph Chung <tausq@debian.org>
Fri, 22 Aug 2003 12:09:52 -0700

In reference to a message from James Bottomley, dated Aug 22:
> On Fri, 2003-08-22 at 13:34, Hugh Dickins wrote:
> > Might the problem be in parisc's __flush_dcache_page,
> > which only examines i_mmap_shared?
>
> This is the issue: we do treat them differently.

as does some other archs, like ARM.

are we saying that MAP_SHARED != VM_SHARED? the mmap code allows
architectures to map pages differently if MAP_SHARED is specified, but
it puts it on i_mmap vs i_mmap_shared using VM_SHARED, and for read-only
files we silently drop VM_SHARED... so the page is mapped using
MAP_SHARED semantics but placed on i_mmap....

confused,
randolph
--
Randolph Chung
Debian GNU/Linux Developer, hppa/ia64 ports