[parisc-linux] Re: Problems with kernel mmap (failing tst-mmap-eofsync in glibc on parisc)

David S. Miller davem@redhat.com
Fri, 22 Aug 2003 09:39:57 -0700

On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 17:42:03 +0100
Russell King <rmk@arm.linux.org.uk> wrote:

> > Gah, that's going to get really inefficient.  I still think we want to
> > split flush_dcache_page() into two operations -- flush_dcache_user() and
> > flush_dcache_kernel().  flush_dcache_user() would flush this specific
> > user mapping back to ram and flush_dcache_kernel() would flush the
> > kernel mapping.
>
> Where are you proposing calling only _user() and _kernel() from ?

The is not acceptable answer.

Purely, flush_dcache_page() is defined to execute when the
kernel stores into a page cache page, and that is it's only
valid definition.

Splitting into a "user" part makes absolutely no sense.