xchat colors (Was Re: [parisc-linux] xfree86 4.2.1-9 build problem)

Grant Grundler grundler@parisc-linux.org
Thu, 14 Aug 2003 23:41:21 -0600

On Thu, Aug 14, 2003 at 10:26:38PM +0000, caslivkoff@speakeasy.net wrote:
> Just to be sure this is indeed a colormap issue, start an X session
> using twm, then only launch xchat. If the colors are "OK",
> then it's a pretty good bet that the default colormap is max-ed out.
>
> Also, I've attached is short Xlib program. This will report the
> number of private color cells remaining in the default colormap.

The attachement didn't make it through.
I got the copy at another email address and put the hppa binary,
source, and "README" in a tarball:
	http://iou.parisc-linux.org/hppa/xcmap.tgz

When running twm on c3k (1280x1024x8), xcmap reports:
| Default visual is 256-color PseudoColor
| 10 private color cells available

Things are worse with fvwm:
| Default visual is 256-color PseudoColor
| 0 private color cells available

It didn't matter which window mangler I used.
Both failed to provide the text color.

xchat2 wants 23 colors - but they don't need to be private though.
Will add some more printks to xchat so I know what/how it's failing.

thanks again for xcmap....handy in this case.

grant