[parisc-linux] Re: second nic for proxy server

Grant Grundler grundler@parisc-linux.org
Thu, 14 Aug 2003 17:33:43 -0600

[ replying to list...everyone learns something ]

On Thu, Aug 14, 2003 at 02:16:37PM -0700, jmd wrote:
> grant...
>
> something is amiss here. the small section of the PCI connector is
> towards the front of the card. standard PCI cards the sector is in the
> rear (opposite end of backplane). is this a mistake on hp's part? am i
> crazy?? need glasses checked?

that's 3.3v vs 5v keying. HP(-UX) normally only sells "universal" cards
that have both 3.3 and 5v keying.

> so if this is a no go with PCI, can i put an ISA card in the EISA slot?
> major problems if i do this? i have a 3com etherlink III.

I guess. I don't touch EISA.

> this is a temporary server. if its complicated i will pass on it.

If the PCI card doesn't fit (wrong keying), then I'd pass on it.
Just my $0.02.

> btw.... when i am done with this box (month or so) its available for a
> developer if they wish to have it. cost of shipping only.

cool - thanks!
Can anyone make use of a C180?
PA2.0, PCI/EISA/GSC IO, 4 IO slots.

grant