[parisc-linux] xfree86 4.2.1-9 build problem

Grant Grundler grundler@parisc-linux.org
Wed, 13 Aug 2003 23:12:36 -0600

On Wed, Aug 13, 2003 at 05:53:33PM -0500, James Bottomley wrote:
> Is this with one of the Visualize cards?  They only do 8bpp at all
> resolutions, so if you run a colourful window manager, you run out
> pretty quickly.  Even using the default fvwm, I had to run xpdf with a
> private colourmap (-cmap option) to get my slides to show up as anything
> like reasonable).

yes. And I'm using fvwm2 which I thought was supposed to be a fairly
(not totally) light weight window manager. I'll see if there are
knobs to reduce the FVWM color consumption.

> A lot of modern applications (particularly of the kde or gnome variety)
> pay absolutely no attention to potential colour map limitations and can
> blithely request more colours than you have available (and sometimes not
> even check for failure returns).

yup - I was looking to find the code to and at least print a warning
so I know that's the problem. I've spent < 1h hunting through the code
to figure out where the colors for the text box was allocated. Haven't
found it yet though.