[parisc-linux] xfree86 4.2.1-9 build problem

James Bottomley James.Bottomley@steeleye.com
13 Aug 2003 17:53:33 -0500

On Wed, 2003-08-13 at 16:32, Grant Grundler wrote:
> if I can just figure out what's botching the colors for xchat2 now...

Is this with one of the Visualize cards?  They only do 8bpp at all
resolutions, so if you run a colourful window manager, you run out
pretty quickly.  Even using the default fvwm, I had to run xpdf with a
private colourmap (-cmap option) to get my slides to show up as anything
like reasonable).

A lot of modern applications (particularly of the kde or gnome variety)
pay absolutely no attention to potential colour map limitations and can
blithely request more colours than you have available (and sometimes not
even check for failure returns).

James