[parisc-linux] itlb miss handler optimizations!

Joel Soete jsoe0708@tiscali.be
Tue, 12 Aug 2003 14:21:18 +0200

Hi Carlos,

>Assembles, and boots on my C3K, 32-bit kernel. Looking for any takers
>who want to try  it in 64-bit mode. I'm running lmbench to see if I can
>tell the difference between this and the original code.
>
>I would be most appreciative if anyone would pipe up and say "Run X to
>test if Y works better/faster/harder" :}

I apply your patch against 2.4.21-pa9 on the N-4000 and compile it successfully
with hppa64-linux-gcc (3.2.3). (having no clue about lmbench) I take this
exercise to roughly compare.

Running the original 2.4.21-pa9 here are times:
Tue Aug 12 09:59:55 CEST 2003
[...] # Build kernel: 19'58"
Tue Aug 12 10:19:53 CEST 2003
[...] # Build modules: 7'46"
Tue Aug 12 10:27:39 CEST 2003

Running this new kernel:

Tue Aug 12 12:28:37 CEST 2003
[...] # Build kernel: 20'8"
Tue Aug 12 12:48:45 CEST 2003
[...] # Build modules: 7'47"
Tue Aug 12 12:56:32 CEST 2003

The difference are so small that a more accurate tools would be requested.

hth anyway,
    Joel

Soldes Tiscali ADSL : 27,50 euros/mois jusque fin 2003.
On s'habitue vite à payer son ADSL moins cher!
Plus d'info? Cliquez ici... http://reg.tiscali.be/default.asp?lg=fr