[parisc-linux] Re: Debian on rp 7400

Grant Grundler grundler@parisc-linux.org
Fri, 8 Aug 2003 10:37:44 -0600

BTW, this discussion really belongs on parisc-linux.org mailing list.
It's not specific to debian-hppa and is very kernel centric.

On Fri, Aug 08, 2003 at 09:10:44AM +0000, Joel Soete wrote:
> >IIRC, "non-equivalently mapped aliases"

> Is there much more detailed public doc some where about this stuff?

sorry - I don't understand the problems well enough.
The PA 2.0 arch book might describe the cache behaviors sufficiently
to determine this will be a problem.

> >BTW< this topic has been thoroughly discussed on parisc-linux
> >mailing list. See www.parisc-linux.org mailing list archives.

google search for
	equivalent mapped [parisc-linux site:lists.parisc-linux.org]

yielded the original thread from Jerry Huck:

http://lists.parisc-linux.org/pipermail/parisc-linux/1999-December/008101.html

I only partially understand what Jerry talking about and have no idea
how linux VM implementation collides with the aliasing rules.

Bjorn Helgaas posted a another thread two years later that might
be more helpful since it's specific to superdome (AFAIK same problems
as with N-class and L3000):

http://lists.parisc-linux.org/pipermail/parisc-linux/2001-April/012388.html

I didn't see any direct followup to Bjorn's mail in the archive though
some discussion did occur in other forums (much later).

hth,
grant