[parisc-linux] Terminfo/termcap for a 70096 ...

Nahkola Mikko mnahkola@trinms01.ntc.nokia.com
Tue, 5 Aug 2003 17:15:37 +0300

On Tue, Aug 05, 2003 at 03:04:24PM +0200, ext "Beerse, Corné" wrote:

> > From: Nahkola Mikko [mailto:mnahkola@trinms01.ntc.nokia.com]

> > I tried to ask this question in the comp.sys.hp.hpux newsgroup once but
> > didn't get any useful answers... anyone here know better?

> The /etc/termcap file on a RedHat 7.3 machine does contain a bunch of HP
> terminals, including 700 series like 700 44 and 700 92. I think the latter
> one will suit your needs. There are even more. As far as I know, it all ends
> in hpterm, the hp-terminal emulator (xterm equivalent) for X11 (vue) with
> similar capabilities as the 700 series terminals.

Um. I don't have a RedHat here ... well, there's a close-enough copy that
I could check.

Yes, the 70092 is probably close enough. Haven't run into any differences
around here and we have a couple of those too.

> Unfortunatly, while installing DebianWoody on a D370, I found none of them
> in the terminfo database (and no termcap file). And the HP700/96 came with
> the D370. I know one thing to do after finalizing the install....

That'd be good to have, yes, and even better if the installer knew how to
use it too. And I _did_ install the terminfo entry myself ...

> > (yes, I know, this is probably specifically _not_ a problem on
> > parisc-linux as all the parisc stuff is supposed to have a HP-UX license
> > in the first place, for some version of HP-UX.)
> >
> > Is it legal to copy terminfo and termcap entries (from HP-UX in this
> > case)?
>
> I don't think it is illegal to tune any system to use HP hardware with a
> published interface and I think the manual of the terminal clearly publishes
> the codes as used in the termcap or terminfo files.

The "User's Manual" (part no. 5959-5071) only seems to publish some of
them, not all. It certainly doesn't say what the thing _transmits_
as control characters, and such ...

I haven't seen the "Reference Manual" anywhere. (5959-5072) That'd be the
one to find, probably.

The c1099a User's Manual isn't any more help either.

> > The problem is that HP-UX is pretty much the only thing that comes with a
> > terminfo entry for a 70096, and we have a bunch of those that  could be
> > useful on other systems too ... except that the scrollback doesn't work
> > in the emulation modes.

> Some settings of $TERM that come to mind include 'hpterm', 'hp700',
> 'hp70092'. I recal I've used them between HP-UX and Solaris machines, hence
> Solaris also might have suitable termcap or terminfo entries.

I don't think I've managed to find them.

At least it doesn't get right by default on the things that I've tried.
Not sure which ones I've tried them on, Sun, DEC/Compaq, IBM, whatever
... at least everything seems to default to VT100 if they can't figure
out what it is. Even HP-UX, occasionally.

> > Oh, and about the cursor keys on the 70096, if I were to put
> > them in the
> > "application" mode, would that help with bash et al.? They seem to be
> > working in swinstall and such on HP-UX ... but the default
> > mode seems to
> > be non-transmitting, right? (yes, I could use that too myself, and

> don't know, just put the terminal in em220 (vt220 emulation) mode to install
> debian.

I did.

But it might be better if the Debian installer could be made to handle
the native mode too.

--
Mikko Nahkola   <mikko.nahkola@nokia.com>
Tre-IN sysadmin <mnahkola@trein.ntc.nokia.com>