[parisc-linux] Program counter from sigcontext, constructurs and -fPIC

Carlos O'Donell carlos@baldric.uwo.ca
Fri, 25 Apr 2003 16:52:59 -0400

Hans,

> It's a new, currently rather simple, but thread-compatible, purely user-level, profiler.  It includes some infrastructure for using hardware atomic operations in reasonably portable ways.  Need less to say, PA-RISC makes a wonderful test case.

Cool. (Could you please make your MUA wrap lines at a reasonable length?).

> > A. What kernel are you using?
> 2.4.17-64 on spe170.testdrive.hp.com.

Needs updating :)

> Once you get the PC in the signal handler, that's easy.  It sounds like getting the PC from a signal handler from a 32-bit executable on a 64-bit kernel is currently impossible?  I should probably focus on 64-bit executables?  Or does profil() have a way to get around the problem?

64-bit executables don't exist in Linux .... I'm working on it, if you
want to get into the glibc port please talk to me off-list :)

64-bit kernels spill 64-bit values into the 32-bit values of the
sigcontext struct. Which means you get everything in the wrong place and
much larger than you expected. This _has_ to be fixed soon, perhaps I'll
look at this code next.

c.