[parisc-linux] STI fb questions

Thomas Bogendoerfer tsbogend@alpha.franken.de
Wed, 16 Apr 2003 19:52:23 +0200

On Wed, Apr 16, 2003 at 01:28:43PM +0100, M. Grabert wrote:
> My Precisionbook obviously has a Visualize-EG with just 2MB.
> So it should be able to display at least 800x600 in 24/32bit and
> 1024x768 in 16bit, but it refuses to do so. 'dmesg' ALWAYS shows
> only 8bit colour depth regardless of the display resolution.

Visualize-EG is 8 bit only. That's a hardware limitation.

> My question is know, does STIfb also supports 16bit? How can I force
> 16bit and 24/32bit colour depths? What does sti=8/24 exactly mean?

stifb supports 32bit, if the hardware supports it. sti=8/24 is the
hardware path taken from PDC.

Thomas.

--
Crap can work. Given enough thrust pigs will fly, but it's not necessary a
good idea.                                 [ Alexander Viro on linux-kernel ]