[parisc-linux] Presicionbook success

Matthew Wilcox willy@debian.org
Wed, 16 Apr 2003 13:29:48 +0100

On Wed, Apr 16, 2003 at 01:07:06PM +0100, M. Grabert wrote:
> I just wanted you to inform that I successfully installed
> Debian testing on my Presicionbook.

Sweet!

> - The precompiled kernel from the EISEE team may hang ...
>
>   ... since it has support for the CMD PCI0643 IDE Busmaster chip,
>   which is obviously used in the Presicionbook, but the driver
>   doensn't/mustn't be used in Linux, since it causes confusion!
>   So add "ide=nodma" or something similar to the kernel parameters
>   (using the IPL) or simply recompile the kernel with no IDE support.
>
>   (The Presicionbook uses 2.5" IDE harddrives, obviously connected
>    to the CMD chip, but they automagically appear as SCSI drives on LASI
>    SCSI.)

*blink*.  That's pretty weird.  Could you send the device listing that
dmesg produces, and the results of lspci?

> - PCMCIA
>
>   I'm honestly a little bit confused here.
>   It uses the  Cirrus Logic PD 6832 PCMCIA/CardBus Controller, which
>   seems to be supported under Linux, HOWEVER the physical slots
>   appear to be just for old PCMCIA ISA 16bit PC Cards, not for the
>   newer 32bit PCI CardBus PC Cards. I haven't tried whether it works,
>   since I don't have any PCMCIA PC Cards (ISA or PCI Cardbus).

I'm a little confused; I've got both 16 and 32 bit cards here and I
don't see any physical difference between the cards that'd prevent a
32-bit card being inserted into a slot.  Yes, gold vs silver colouring;
some bumps on the 32-bit card (could that be it?)