[parisc-linux] parisc-linux.org kernel

Joel Soete joel.soete@tiscali.be
Sat, 12 Apr 2003 20:30:14 +0000

Grant Grundler wrote:

>On Fri, Apr 11, 2003 at 07:40:32AM +0200, Joel Soete wrote:
>

>>Here is the rough diffstat (still have to reverse ql driver patches, I will
>>try to find time this week-end :) )
>>

>cool - let me add some general comments.
>You might break the diff up into chunks along the lines that
>I've commented on them below. You should end up with something like
>15-20 patches.
>

>> Documentation/Configure.help                      |   90
>>

>	I expect parisc-specific changes here.

1) CONFIG_HP_SDC (parisc specific)
2) Serial MUX and PDC support (parisc specific)
3) Generic Real Time Clock Support ?
4) CONFIG_IOMMU_CCIO (parisc specific)

>> Makefile                                          |   16
>>

>	Don't submit the Makefile unless you are sure we need it.
>

>> arch/m68k/config.in                               |    5

>	Don't submit m68k - Marcello should be ahead here.

Clearly

>> arch/parisc/config.in                             |    6

>	parisc specific (our tree is authoritative)
>	Need to review for changes in Marcelo's tree.
>	I expect Marcello to take the mess as-is if there
>	are no conflicts.
>

>> drivers/char/Config.in                            |    3
>>
>> drivers/char/Makefile                             |    2

+if [ "$CONFIG_PARISC" = "y" ]; then
+   bool 'Generic RTC device support' CONFIG_GENRTC
+fi

>> drivers/char/pty.c                                |    4

gcc-3.2 barier workaround

>> drivers/char/serial.c                             |  115
>>

>	Diva Support? If so, that's common to parisc/ia64.

yes (for this last)

>> drivers/gsc/dino.c                                |    9
>>

>	parisc specific.
>

>> drivers/ide/pci/ns87415.c                         |    8
>> drivers/ide/setup-pci.c                           |    2
>>

>	Suckyio support. This probably needs to go to Andre Hedrick.
>

>> drivers/net/acenic.c                              |    5
>>

>	Jes Sorensen has all my changes for this driver.
>	Jes, can you compare Marcello's tree with ours?
>	(and please make sure Marcello gets the latest?)
>

>> drivers/net/lasi_82596.c                          |    2
>>

>	parisc specific
>

>> drivers/net/pcnet32.c                             |   26
>>

>	Dunno.

* v1.27c Sat Apr 13 2002 Helge Deller <deller@gmx.de>
* typo-fixes & cleanups

>> drivers/net/tulip/eeprom.c                        |    3

?? should be wrong merge (have to test on a b180 and examine compile
logs :(( )

>> drivers/net/tulip/media.c                         |   29
>>

>	Jeff Garzik has blessed changes I've made here.
>	I expect this to be about the PHY reset and media table changes
>	for card-mode Dino (rbrad's changes).

Yes (for this last)

>> drivers/net/wireless/airo.c                       |    7
>>

>	Fixes from Lamont. He's not the maintainer but the card should
>	now work under parisc-linux. He's got one running in a B180.
>

>> drivers/pci/quirks.c                              |    3
>>

>	upstream changes.
>

>> drivers/pci/setup-bus.c                           |   37
>>

>	I expect this is the bridge_ctl field I added using
>	Russell King's patch (arm/pci maintainer). This probably
>	can NOT go in as-is. If the bulk of the other changes
>	go in, I'll deal with this.
>

>> drivers/scsi/Config.in                            |   57
>> drivers/scsi/Makefile                             |   15
>>

>	Added qla2xxx
>

>> drivers/scsi/cpqfcTScontrol.c                     |   45
>> drivers/scsi/cpqfcTSi2c.c                         |    3
>> drivers/scsi/cpqfcTSinit.c                        |   12
>> drivers/scsi/cpqfcTSstructs.h                     |    4
>> drivers/scsi/cpqfcTSworker.c                      |    2
>>

>	These are my cleanups so one can load/unload the module
>	without crashing the system. TL chips (5100/5166) should
>	work but HP XL2 HBAs do not - need more work to read the serial
>	PROM and pull the GBIC info/WWW id out.  I haven't tested
>	this on ia64, only parisc.
>
>	This is an orphan'd driver.  I talked to the current maintainers
>	and they just don't have time to work on it.

Hmm I also just exchange a short mail with him and the idea was that it
would be better to re-write completely this driver (without any doc and
not yet enough knowledge on writing driver, I abandon the idea to work
on, sorry)

> This is the same
>	group that supports cciss driver (SmartArray cards).
>	I've submitted these changes about 2 months ago.
>
>	See http://sourceforge.net/projects/cpqfc.
>

>> drivers/scsi/ncr53c8xx.c                          |  341 +
>>

>	rhirst changes for zalon support?
>

>> drivers/scsi/qla2xxx/Config.in                    |    6
>> drivers/scsi/qla2xxx/Makefile                     |   13

>	"New" driver. This is the released qla2xxx v6.0.4 from Qlogic.
>	Works on ia64 (weekend of hazard testing) but not quite on parisc.
>	At least it doesn't crash parisc. I have a card installed in
>	an a500 if someone has time to poke at this some more.

(is ql we used on some of our Sun could work also on parisc? if yes my
pb would be to convince our _new_ HP engineer to put one in the N I
spoke about elsewhre ;?)

>> drivers/scsi/sym53c8xx.c                          |   44
>> drivers/scsi/sym53c8xx_2/sym_glue.c               |   14
>> drivers/scsi/sym53c8xx_2/sym_hipd.c               |   35
>> drivers/scsi/sym53c8xx_defs.h                     |   83
>>

>	All of these sym53c8xx changes have been blessed by Gerard Roudier.
>	He's the maintainer. Please submit.
>

>> drivers/sound/ad1889.c                            |    2
>>

>	parisc specific.
>

>> drivers/video/Config.in                           |   14
>> drivers/video/dummycon.c                          |   10
>> drivers/video/sstfb.c                             |  114
>>

>	parisc specific.
>

>> fs/Makefile                                       |    1
>> fs/binfmt_elf.c                                   |  288 -
>> fs/exec.c                                         |   97
>> fs/open.c                                         |   22
>> fs/read_write.c                                   |   40
>> include/asm-generic/xor.h                         |  378 +
>> include/asm-m68k/machdep.h                        |    4
>> include/asm-m68k/rtc.h                            |   50
>>

>	I expect these are upstream changes
>

>> include/asm-parisc/checksum.h                     |   26

>	parisc specific.
>	(logo was updated among other things)
>

>> include/linux/binfmts.h                           |    2

>	Need to review if the remaining diff are upstream or our changes.
>	I suspect most are upstream.
>

>>(hmm don't remember if linux_logo is of mine dpkg install or a new one in
>>our tree :)
>>

>new one in our tree.
>
>hth - thanks!
>grant

Ok I will examine deepely the rest.

I already had a ruby script which help me to 'split' a patch into 'per
file' patch so I could easily re-merge some one together as all you mark
me parisc specific, ...

I will  try to submit a first draft next week,
     Joel