[parisc-linux] soft power and power light on 712/60

Grant Grundler grundler@dsl2.external.hp.com
Thu, 3 Apr 2003 14:55:15 -0700

On Wed, Apr 02, 2003 at 10:35:56AM +0200, "Beerse, Corn?" wrote:
> The only reason I can imagine it should not work is addressing the
> boot-image from the boot-prom.
>
> Or else, it should not be called scsi...

You are mixing up marketing, implementation, and "supported".
HP decided the older box wasn't worth supporting.
I'l hazard a guess the "upgrade" would not generate enough revenue
to offset the additional qualification/inventory/support burden.

And SCSI implementations are not always compatible because they
don't implement all the same features. Delayed spinup and
Target-Initiated Syncronous Negotiation are two SCSI disk features
that early host controller firmware typically have trouble with.

grant