[parisc-linux] Applications in 64 bits userspace

Matthew Wilcox willy@debian.org
Thu, 3 Apr 2003 19:45:13 +0100

On Thu, Apr 03, 2003 at 03:12:35PM -0300, Rodrigo Colao Merlo wrote:
>  Hello,
>  I work for a software company in Brazil specialized in Linux
>  development under contract by HP.
>
>  We're currently working in a project that needs investigate what are missing
> in kernel to run applications in 64 bits userspace. I need only known what
> are missing in kernel and what kernel do you recomend ? 2.4 or 2.5 ?

Yes, Leandro from HP Brazil kept posting asking that question.
Unfortunately, he kept on asking even after he'd been given a fairly
comprehensive list of things to do, so I think people couldn't be bothered
to tell him any more.

Probably the best list of things to do would be the thread starting at
http://lists.parisc-linux.org/pipermail/parisc-linux/2003-January/018911.html

As to which kernel to base it on; most of the work is kernel-independent.
It's all about making the toolchain work properly.  There's a certain
amount of work to do in the kernel, but there's some design work to do
up-front first.  It shouldn't be hard to do it to either kernel and then
port to the other.