[parisc-linux] PDC console problem.

Christoph Plattner christoph.plattner@gmx.at
Tue, 01 Apr 2003 21:27:32 +0200

Hello again!

There are two drivers, but they depend.

Int arch/parisc/kernel driver implements the kernel "printk()" (the
internal kernel console). This driver has NO device name, as it
cannot be access as /dev/ttyB0. BUT: This driver is register under
the name "ttyB0" to be selected as preferred device on the kernel
paramter line with "console=ttyB0".

The drivers/char driver is the full PDC serial console driver as a
TTY driver (like all the other serial drivers). This driver is
registers as MAJOR 11, MINOR 0 driver in the TTY interface and
supports fully TTY functionality (althogh some routines are dummy,
e.g. you cannot change the BAUD RATE, etc...).
The low lever routione (printing out a character, polling the keyboard)
are implemented in the first mentioned driver..

The third driver play a role is the "/dev/console" tty driver, which
assosiates the two drivers above as console driver. So the kernel
paramter line also assigns the "/dev/ttyB0" as the driver behind the
"/dev/console". And this driver is running bidirectional.

So commig to your simulator. I do not know this, but perhaps you
have simple a problem with the timing here. My PDC console drive
is in opposite to other typical TTY drivers running in POLLING
mode. The PDC interface does not support a interrupt-like handling.
So the PDC driver polls all 30ms (as far as I remember) if a key
was pressed on the PDC console. My be, the time progress has
other properties on the simulator ....

Christoph