[parisc-linux] soft power and power light on 712/60

Joel Soete jsoe0708@tiscali.be
Tue, 1 Apr 2003 19:06:26 +0200

>The only thing unusual about the setup is that I replaced the old 500mb
HP
>hard drive with a 4.5gig IBM drive with a 68pin-50pin converter.

Hmm it is highly probable.

Four years ago, for a project of upgrade 712 workstation, we asked to HP
if it was possible to put internal (SE) 4Gb disk. HP said that it was only
supported on 712/100.

Later, I had the opportunity to test Linux on a old 4Gb (SE) external disk
with an old 712/60. (Even thought it was the very begining, it still works
fine and help me a lot). Then I remember that 'not supported' didn' t means
that it would not works. So I removed this disk from its enclosure and put
it into the workstation. Well it works but not for a long time: apparently
it warmed too much  but fortunately not too long time (so I can put it back
in its original enclosure and continu to work). So there are an actual problem
of heat exchange in this small box?

>Is the drive and converter causing the problem, or is there something I
can
>do software wise to fix this?

For above mentioned project, we also use external SE 4Gb disk with wide (68
pins) connector without pb. Is your 4.5Gb IBM disk is well of SE type?

hth,
    Joel

Vous surfez avec une ligne classique ?
Economisez jusqu'à 25% avec Tiscali Complete !
Offre spéciale : première année d'abonnement offerte.
... Plus d'info sur http://complete.tiscali.be