[parisc-linux] hardware newbie question...

Derek Engelhaupt derekengelhaupt@rocketmail.com
Mon, 30 Sep 2002 15:29:19 -0700 (PDT)

What do you mean locked down?  Boot the thing single user and delete
the password.  At the "Press any key to interrupt boot" prompt stop the
prompt type <hpux -is> <enter>.  That will get you into single user
mode.  Unless the system is setup in trusted mode you should be able to
get in and modify the /etc/passwd file.  The user name should come
first followed by the password that is encrypted within the colons
(ex:root:VDTGE$8757474:).  Delete the encrypted stuff but leave the
colons and save it.  Reboot it in multiuser mode and root shouldn't
have a password.

derek