[parisc-linux] SMP kernel problems on a D350

Grant Grundler grundler@dsl2.external.hp.com
Thu, 19 Sep 2002 16:46:09 -0600

Istvan Gyenes wrote:
> Hello Joerg,
>
> The only difference between the non-smp and smp kernel config file is
> CONFIG_SMP=yes , AFAIK.
> I made a "make menuconfig" and the only thing I've changed is SMP support.

I'm paranoid. I do "make distclean" when doing anything other than
adding/removing drivers. Save/restore the .config if you need to before
running "make distclean".  I don't trust the Makefiles to rebuild
everything correctly for "global" CONFIG_ changes like "SMP".

> The strange thing is that the precompiled smp kernel from the install cd
> boots fine. (2.4.18-smp)

SMP on 2.4.19 isn't as stable yet.  So that's no surprise.

If you want to debug this further, define "EARLY_BOOTUP_DEBUG"
in arch/parisc/kernel/pdc_cons.c and you should get more output
about how far the kernel gets before it crashes/hangs.

grant