[parisc-linux] Re: XFree86 on B180

Francisco_Javier.Llorente_Recio@alcatel.es Francisco_Javier.Llorente_Recio@alcatel.es
Thu, 19 Sep 2002 17:08:16 +0200

Hello Thomas, Helge, Jo=EBl and everyone!

Here I am opening again that old thread. Ok. We had here a B180 with a
broken 8GB hard disk inside and nothing but a 4GB hard disk to fix it. =
So
we have fix the B180 and, as our software needs at least 8GB to run, I
though we could use this WS for testing purposes... with PA-Linux. So I=

installed the "Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 prerelease "Woody" - Unofficial hpp=
Binary-1" this morning.

Well, It's running smoothly... but i need to run also the XFree86... an=
d it
seems not to work. I've tested several configurations and all that I ge=
t is
an "(EE) No devices detected" error. Then, I searched the list and foun=
this:

On Sunday 05 August 2001 16:48, Thomas Bogendoerfer wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 03, 2001 at 12:45:01PM +0200, Helge Deller wrote:
> > Currently stifb will run on most 712 and 715 machines, while B160,
B180,
> > C3000 and most others won't.
>
> you saw X on the B180 I had at LinuxTag:-) Treating the EG VISULIZE a=
s an

> artist graphics card did the trick.

So X can work on a B180. Question is... How I do this?

Well, It's not a case of life-or-death, as we still can use HP-UX 10.20=
 on
this machine... but I'm the only Linux-supporter in my department, and =
so
it'd be a score to get this machine working with Linux.

Thanks in advance.

Fco. Javier Llorente Recio
Alcatel Espa=F1a, S.A.
SRD - Asistencia T=E9cnica (Ref. 02455)