[parisc-linux] ide controller

J.Steindlberger j@steindlberger.de
Thu, 19 Sep 2002 14:50:45 +0200

On Thursday 19 September 2002 12:06, you wrote:
> Our IDE code has been run on non x86 platforms. It does require that the
> defaults are set right for the platform so that it doesnt do stuff like
> blindly probe I/O 0x170.
>
> I don't know if the Promise card needs its BIOS to have run, I would
> suspect not but can't be sure.

Hi Alan,

we tried a different controller with originally an eprom bios. We simply put
that eeprom away. (The Promise has a chip-integrated flash bios - putting
that away seems not to be possible.) The kernel crashed alike. Do You have
any ideas to get more debug output? I could set up my second C-Class with
parisc-linux and test it there. (The first one is now running some essential
services - continued crashing would not be good.)

Then I will have a deep look into the linux-code (oh, I'll have to learn C)
and search for that stupid (sorry) 0x170 probe.

Thanks a lot! You will read more...
Joerg