[parisc-linux] framebuffer depth and other issues ...

Thomas Bogendoerfer tsbogend@alpha.franken.de
Mon, 28 Oct 2002 22:15:14 +0100

On Mon, Oct 28, 2002 at 01:25:52PM +0200, Nahkola Mikko wrote:
> I was wondering ... the VIS-EG is about as close to "fully supported" as
> they get, right?

there are still 2D drawing accelerations possible, hardware cursor,
color recovery and usage of the second color map.

> Is it possible to get more than 8 bpp out of a VIS-EG?

no, VIS-EG is 8 bit color, no way to get more.

> How much of a difference is there between VIS-EG/PCI (A4977A) and
> VIS-EG/GSC (A4450A) in this regard? I have an A4450A in there at the
> moment.

no difference in color depth between PCI and GSC cards.

> HP-UX seems to find a whole lot of differences and such ... and I did run
> GNOME/HP-UX once on a VIS-EG/PCI without running out of colors but then
> again HP-UX does color recovery and acceleration and all that on those...

I guess the HP-UX Xserver uses the second color map and color recovery.
I've looked a little bit how to use the second color map and I haven't
found a simple to way to add support to XFree for it. It's a nice way
to have 256 color for the desktop and 256 independant colors for the
application with focus. Maybe some XFree86 guru could give me a hint how
to implement it.

Thomas.

--
Crap can work. Given enough thrust pigs will fly, but it's not necessary a
good idea.                                 [ Alexander Viro on linux-kernel ]