[parisc-linux] 735/125 Wide Diff scsi

Grant Grundler grundler@dsl2.external.hp.com
Thu, 24 Oct 2002 18:50:35 -0600

"John David Anglin" wrote:
> > Is there any approx time for the WD driver? I have about 60G I can put on
> > my machine if it works.. Will it work if It gets plugged in the SE Chain?
>
> No.  It may cause damage.

Not true.
Mixing SE and HVD devices on a SCSI bus will result in the interface
chips "tri-stating". ie no one can talk on the bus. But nothing smokes
either - at least not for the HP product testing I was involved with
several years ago.

> There was a question about the WD driver not too long ago.  You could search
> for the answer but I believe only hpux supports the WD interface at this
> time.

And that's going to get dropped soon too.
Last product to support HVD is based on Sym53c876 chip.
The interface cards are supported on new IA64 machines
but I'm not sure one can purchase them or purchase HVD disks.

> You may be able to add a newer LVD to the SE chain and have it
> work.  I'm not sure if it could be used as a boot device though.

The LVD should work fine as a boot device in SE mode.
LVD devices talk SE like any other SE device (AFAIK).

grant