[parisc-linux] HP Boot

Thibaut VARENE varenet@esiee.fr
Fri, 11 Oct 2002 17:05:39 +0200

On Fri, 11 Oct 2002 11:18:51 -0300
"Jeffo" <jeffo@pop.hsbc.com.br> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I read many docs and none of them explain it in detail how to exactly to
> change my boot rom settings.
> All mentions to ISL are to use serial connections only.....which is not my
> case... =(
Maybe you should re-read the HOWTO _from the beginning_:
It is clearly stated that we're talking about *console* operations, whatever your console is, see section 3.2:
http://pateam.esiee.fr/parisc-linux-boot/PA-RISC-Linux-Boot-HOWTO/consoles.html

About changing your Boot ROM setting:
this is pointless, since this is not what you want.
The boot ROM settings store the _hardware path_ to your boot device, see section 3.1.2.1:
http://pateam.esiee.fr/parisc-linux-boot/PA-RISC-Linux-Boot-HOWTO/bootadmin.html#AEN202

> I just wanna change the boot path, that is, point to the Vmlinux guy.

This is done by changing your PALO settings, either in palo.conf for definitive changes, or at boot time. See section 4:
http://pateam.esiee.fr/parisc-linux-boot/PA-RISC-Linux-Boot-HOWTO/palo.html
for a complete description of PALO, and more specifically:
section 4.3.3 to learn how to change your config file options:
http://pateam.esiee.fr/parisc-linux-boot/PA-RISC-Linux-Boot-HOWTO/paloappusage.html#bootablepartition
and section 4.4 to learn how to use PALO during boot sequence:
http://pateam.esiee.fr/parisc-linux-boot/PA-RISC-Linux-Boot-HOWTO/paloearlyboot.html

> Another thing: after concluding installation, when I go to the step "Make
> system bootable", the screen (installer) goes blue and returns to the very
> beggining of the process "Welcome to....blablabla..."
This is not normal.
What kind of installation are you using ? CD/Network ?
If cd, what ISO ? Have you checked the md5sum ?

Hope that helps.

One more thing: please do not mail me personnaly, this is not a private lesson, and this kind of questions may be useful for other people.

Thibaut VARENE
The PA/Linux ESIEE Team
http://pateam.esiee.fr/