[parisc-linux] boot (micro) hang

Derek Engelhaupt derekengelhaupt@rocketmail.com
Thu, 10 Oct 2002 07:34:43 -0700 (PDT)

Phi,

Well if you knew an HP CE that could help you with the firmware update
it wouldn't have been that big a deal.  From your E-mail address you
look like you work for HP.  Our tools for updating firmware are
pre-burned on what we used to call the ECU disk.  That's how I updated
my firmware on my C180 to 6.3 (6.3 is for the C200/240 but runs fine on
my C180).  I perform firmware updates quite often on HP machines along
the whole product line and most of the time it is an effortless thing.
Of course the tools use hardware folks use to update firmware are not
available to the general public.  The N and L class servers can be
updated now with just an HP-UX patch, but that doesn't help the Linux
folks.  My C180 doesn't hang at boot using the
palinux-2.4.18-pa55-20020715-netinst.iso image.  I completed the
install over the internet.  Not exactly sure why you are having
problems with hangs where I do not.  Are you using HP disks or third
party?  Are you running the boot-up in fastboot mode or normal test all
the memory mode?  If you are running fastboot I would say turn it off
and let it run self-test on your memory.  I found 2 bad simms when I
turned off fastboot on my machine.  I now run with fastboot on, but
it's a great tool to troubleshoot memory problems.  If you really want
to know what the difference in firmware revs are, I could get you that
info from my firmware CD's or from an HP service note.  That info I can
give you.  If you have any questions about my C180 set-up don't
hesitate to ask.  I'm currently helping a guy from HP Greely set-up his
C180.

Derek Engelhaupt
HP CE