[parisc-linux] Burning CD Images difficulties: revisited

Chuck Slivkoff caslivkoff@telocity.com
Wed, 9 Oct 2002 16:33:14 -0400

On Wednesday, Oct 9, 2002, at 12:26 US/Eastern, Jeffo wrote:

> - I=B4ve tried MANY times  (5) burning an PA-RISC image to a bootable =
CD.
> Couldn=B4t make my system
> boot from the CD though...the image I=B4m talking about is this one:
> http://pateam.esiee.fr/cd-images/palinux-0.9.3.iso
>
> I have a 712/60 HP station, with an external SCSI CD-rom drive. The=20
> drive is
> at ID "scsi.3.0".
> I do the boot search after the POST routine, it finds my SCSI drive,=20=

> its
> brand and everything else.
>
> When I try to boot from the CD the station simply does nothing. It=20
> tryes to
> boot and returns
> to the BOOT_ADMIN screen. ONCE I could get a message like "loading the
> stuff, etc....OPS, KERNEL something".
> And only ONCE...in one of the first CDs.

Assuming that the ISO md5sum matches, I would suggest that you try=20
another CD drive. Also, if you have DIP switches/jumpers on the drive,=20=

make sure that the sector size is set to 512 and not 2048.

Have you burned other disks and successfully read them in this drive?=20
Under HP-UX? Perhaps try CDR/RW media with different dyes (ie, blue,=20
black, green, etc)?