[parisc-linux] boot (micro) hang

Grant Grundler grundler@dsl2.external.hp.com
Tue, 08 Oct 2002 11:01:52 -0600

phi wrote:
> Thomas helped to turn on verbosity during boot and remove LED display code,
> but yet it fail to boot 'normally' and I still get the micro hang (15 minute).

The long delay happens during device discovery.
You could enable EARLY_BOOTUP_DEBUG in arch/parisc/kernel/pdc_cons.c
and add some printk's to the loop in system_map_inventory().

Only two pieces of code really get executed during that time.
One is the PDC calls - verify your firmware is the latest and if it
isn't, please update.  The other might be GSC buswalk code. I thought
the bus's under U2 are walked to detect devices not listed by PDC.
But I don't know exactly when that occurs in the boot sequence.

grant