[parisc-linux] C180 oddness

B. Douglas Hilton bdhilton@charter.net
Wed, 02 Oct 2002 22:30:01 -0400

If you did a "make-kpkg" kernel and then a "dpkg -i kernel-image-...."
then you should be able to do a palo boot modification of something
like kernel=/vmlinux.old or /boot/vmlinux.old, etc.

I generally always keep some old "proven" kernel around in /boot
and symlink it to something I can remember easily like /vmlinux-rescue
or such. A couple extra megs of space will is definately worth it.

Thats why PALO, or (in X86: GRUB) is great because you don't have
to monkey with LILO every time you recompile your kernel. Just copy
it into /boot and use your firmware (or GRUB) to boot directly, leaving
your already proven boot sector safe and secure.

If all else fails, use Debian HPPA CDRom Disk-1 to get in there and
see what your old kernel is saved as.

Good Luck!

- Doug