[parisc-linux] C180 not booting Sarge kernel

Tom palinux@alaskatech.org
Thu, 21 Nov 2002 08:34:38 -0900 (AKST)

On Thu, 21 Nov 2002, Chris Jantzen wrote:
> FYI, my sarge-based C180 has not been able to boot 2.4.19-32_18 or _22.1;
> I have to interact with IPL and fall back to 2.4.18_62.2. It gets as
> far as the "...if this is the last message you see..." and I never hear
> from it again, even on the network. And I think after a very very long
> time, it falls back to firmware. At least, I see DHCP requests coming
> out of it after a while. (I only just hooked up serial console to
> interact with IPL after getting no response. No I don't boot it up too
> often, it's a "side project".)

This is the "bus-walk" issue I asked about a few weeks back. Apparently
the system is looking through every possible connection, looking for
peripherals, and doesn't continue until it finishes. My C180 sits for ~20
minutes at that point, then continues and runs normally. Boots normally on
2.4.18-pa59, happens on all the 2.4.19 kernels (pa20, pa24 for sure, as I
tried both of those). Not sure about 2.4.20-rc1-pa6, but it did boot (I
wasn't paying attention - powered up before dinner, after dinner
everything was waiting for me <g>)

"They" swear this has a fix in 2.5, but I just let it take it's time and
all seems happy...