[parisc-linux] [2.5] next issues ...

M. Grabert xam@cs.ucc.ie
Sun, 17 Nov 2002 02:32:58 +0000 (GMT)

On Fri, 15 Nov 2002, John David Anglin wrote:

> > Amen! :-) hopefully we are going to start gcc-3.2 transition fairly
> > soon.
>
> Don't wait too long!  3.3 may have slipped a bit but the schedule
> still shows Dec. 15 2002 as the release date.

I'm not very familiar with the pa-risc internals, but I wonder whether it
is probably a better idea to wait for 3.3?. I've followed the parisc-linux
and the gcc-mailing lists and IMHO gcc-3.3 provides lots of
improvements, not just for Intel, but also for PA-RISC. E.g. a new
scheduler which provides better optimizations (for PA-RISC and lots of
bugfixes are in 3.3. More over the C++ ABI will be changed again, so a
couple  of packages would have to be rebuild AGAIN if we stick to 3.2 (if
not the 3.2-ABI compatibility is used). The people at gcc are just about
to release 3.2.1 and from then they're just focussing on the 3.3-release.
AFAIK they are also to resolve some gcc-hpux/linux issues at the moment,
and I doubt they are going to be in gcc-3.2.1. You probably know much
better than me, but that's just my 2 cent.

I know, it's not the usual debian way (using well tested and very stable
packages), but Linux/PA-RISC is improving/has so much possibilities
to improve, and one major package that contributes to this alot is gcc.

greetings max

PS: I offered to help to track down the problems with Voodoo3 and C240,
but right now I'm really busy (e.g. moving to a new home over the
weekend). Hopefully I'll finnaly have a DSL flatline at home, so I can
work from home ;)