[parisc-linux] [IMPORTANT] PDC & Mux console major number changed

Matthew Wilcox willy@debian.org
Thu, 14 Nov 2002 22:44:58 +0000

On Thu, Nov 14, 2002 at 11:23:21PM +0100, Christoph Plattner wrote:
> I do not think it is a good idea to have the same MAJOR for PDC console
> and MUX driver. Those drivers are different in concept, and the PDC
> driver is valid for ALL HP machines, independent if it is a 720, 712
> 800er, ..... The PDC driver used the ROM support and can be used
> as fall back in any case.

I wish you'd said something before... they've been using the same major
for months now.  Anyway, there's really no point in using the PDC console
if the Mux console works, so I don't see why it's a bad thing.

> The MUX driver is the serial driver for those special hardware of HP.
> This driver can be handled in two ways:
> - Let it be an own driver with special devices, like
> 		/dev/ttyX0..7 or /dev/ttyM0..7 (or whatever ...)

Too late.  Lanana already has the registration:

11 char	Serial Mux device	(Linux/PA-RISC only)
		  0 = /dev/ttyB0	First mux port
		  1 = /dev/ttyB1	Second mux port

(http://www.lanana.org/docs/device-list/devices.txt)

> - Let it become the "default" serial device:
> 		/dev/ttyS0../dev/ttyS7
>    This is only possible, if there is no HP with a 16450-class UART
>    and a MUX !!!

There is such a machine; D & R class can have a Mux plugin card and they
also have 16x50 UARTs provided by Lasi & Wax.  (firmware disables Lasi's
UART when this card is plugged in, but Wax's is still active).