[parisc-linux] Untested port of parisc_device to generic device interface

J.E.J. Bottomley James.Bottomley@steeleye.com
Wed, 13 Nov 2002 15:21:07 -0500

grundler@dsl2.external.hp.com said:
> HP PARISC V-Class do that as well. The "consistent" memory lives on
> the PCI Bus Controller - not in host mem. Note that parisc-linux does
> not (yet) support V-class.

Actually, I think dma_mask and consistent memory are orthogonal problems.
dma_masks are used by the I/O subsystem to determine whether direct DMA to a
memory region containing an I/O buffer is possible or whether it has to be
bounced.  Consistent memory is usually allocated for driver specific
transfers.  The I/O subsystem doesn't usually require the actual I/O buffers
to be in consistent memory.

James