[parisc-linux] glibc 2.3.1 - It's alive! - patches

Carlos O'Donell carlos@baldric.uwo.ca
Mon, 11 Nov 2002 12:37:10 -0500

> I don't have a strong opinion on this.  Probably, the routines should
> be in libc.  However, it's probably simple also to put them in libgcc
> which contains some arithmetic operations.  Some work in gcc would
> be needed in any event to integrate the package.

I've just seen recent binutils ditatrabe about how we have copies of
math libraries floating between glibc, gcc and the kernel.

What do we gain from putting it in gcc?
	- ?

What do we gain from putting it libc?
	- More frequent package updates?
	- IMO easier to debug?

Why are there math functions in libgcc in the first place?
Historical reasons?

> > I'm pretty sure that MPFR library in GMP can emulate IEEE 754 arithmetic,
> > though I could be wrong.
>
> I found the quad double package at the mpfr site.  However, its double
> double differs from the IEEE quad precision representation.  A double double
> is a representation using two IEEE doubles.  This is fine as a separate
> library but not the IEEE implementation we are looking for.

Okay.

c.