[parisc-linux] Fast-Wide Diff. SCSI on a 735

Andy Walker squawker@start.no
Thu, 30 May 2002 10:48:32 +0200 (CEST)

Quoting Richard Hirst <rhirst@linuxcare.com>:

> Specs for Outfield are available now, look for hardball_ers.pdf on the
> web site.

Actually I saw that - so I'll print 'em out and start digesting the info
this evening. Haven't hacked on a SCSI driver since the earliest 1.1.x
BusLogic days, but I can at least try to understand what's going on.

> Other 53c720 interfaces (e.g. bluefish) are supported via the
> ncr53c8xx.c driver, but that doesn't work for outfield because the 735
> is not cache coherent.

If you remember Richard, I was having all sorts of trouble with a Bluefish
card in a 725/100 a while back. Think I got the same results in a C110 too.
Recognized as Zalon, but hung up with SCSI timeouts if there was a disk
attached. HP-UX booted happily off the same controller & disk.

> My next idea was to add basic 53c720 support to the 53c700 driver, as
> that works older hardware.  Ryan was interested in looking at that a while
> back, but I don't know what happened.  My excuse is that I don't have 735
> h/w to test on so it is no fun - but that's a poor excuse really as I could
> use my bluefish card to get 53c700 working with 53c720.
>
> 53c700.c would drive the 53c720 chip in 53c700 mode, so would be
> relatively low performance (more interrupts than you would need if you
> made the most of the 53c720 features), and it would be 8 bit only.
> Those issues could perhaps be fixed in time, and it would be better
> than nothing, anyway.
>
> Richard

Well, I've got a 735, a Bluefish card, a B132L with Zalon onboard, and no
current hacking project at home. Unfortunately I also have a wife, two kids
and a reasonable social life, so no wild promises ;-)

-Andy

Få din egen @start.no-adresse gratis på http://www.start.no/