[parisc-linux] Can I run popular Linux software on parisc-linux?

Grant Grundler grundler@dsl2.external.hp.com
Mon, 27 May 2002 13:07:36 -0600

Zibing Yang wrote:
> Hi,
> I am a beginner in linux and recently got a used HP
> Visualize C3600 workstation.

Beware that only Vis-EG PCI is supported by parisc-linux
on that box.

> As far as I know, most of the softwares were developed for
> PC-based Linux.

Under debian, 95% of the packages build on nearly every CPU architecture.
See http://buildd.debian.org/stats/.

> Particularly I would like to know if I
> could run office-like software, windows-emulator,
> video-rendering software.

In general, you should look for packages in "testing" here:
	http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages

kword is available though I've never used it.
I'm not aware of anyone trying to run an IA32 emulator on parisc-linux.
gimp and gqview seem to work. Not sure what's availble
for video (eg mpeg) editing.

grant