[parisc-linux] installing on b2600 fails

Joel Soete joel.soete@freebel.net
Thu, 23 May 2002 18:19:56 +0000

Armijn Hemel wrote:

>>Since boot-floppies 3.0.22 (released 3rd April), at least, hppa has used
>>a 2.4.17-pa32 kernel.  Final woody b-f will use that same kernel, so
>>unless you have a very old ISO, I wouldn't expect a newer one to help.
>>
>>If it turns out a more recent kernel is needed for some machines, I
>>could do a special b-f build and ISO.
>

> Well, I tried the ISO that Mattias pointed me at. The machine boots, kernel
> loads, and the Debian installer starts, but, ehr, the keyboard didn't work,
> so I couldn't continue.
>
> I suspect that there's some driver missing for the keyboard (it's a USB
> keyboard).
>
> armijn

AFAIK you should prefer to install from a serial console
(anyway, i am not sure that usb keyboard and mouse are already supported?).
As serial console you can use any HP serial console if you have one at
your disposal or better (you can log the output) a linux box using
minicom and link the two boxes with a null-modem serial cable.
Do not also forget to disconnect the usb kbd and mouse from your b2600
so that PDC will switch to serial port automaticaly.

I do something like this with bootp/tftp to install my b2000 last week.
I rebuild a lifimage (could be with a xcompiler fo i386) with the one of
the debian boot-floppy for hppa, palo and the last 2.4.18-pa24 kernel
which i build localy. (I was not absolutly sure that 2.4.17-pa32 already
supported ide cdrom)

Never the less the install procedure worked well untill I wanted to
install the basic system because the check failled to found pppoe package?

Later I also encounter a well know loop problem to install kernel modules.

You should also encounter another problem because the release of palo
installed with CD-0.9.3 do not yet support new scsi disk of 9Gb and more.

Definitly I do believe that a new cd-base.iso would be the best to help
you to install a basic system to your project. (for me it was 'easiest'
: once I booted with the lifimage,  I partioned my disk and 'just' had
to copy my b180 to my b2000 with nfs)

Good luck,
	Joel

PS: Richard thanks in advance.