[parisc-linux] installing on b2600 fails

Armijn Hemel armijn@nl.linux.org
Thu, 23 May 2002 15:20:53 +0200

On Tue, May 21, 2002 at 12:05:53PM -0600, Grant Grundler wrote:

> [ back on-list ]
>
> Armijn Hemel wrote:
> > Just burn them? How should I boot then? The b2600 doesn't have a floppy
> > drive. Don't I need PALO on the CD?
>
> yes. CD or LAN. The lifimage has palo and vmlinux embedded in it,
> parisc firmware can boot a lifimage from LAN, tape, CD or HD.
> Any IO device the box has IODC for.

Ehr...how exactly should I do that? I know the first few steps (burn
lifimage somewhere on a CD, turn on machine, insert CD), but how
should I proceed? I looked in the FAQ, but the answer (nor the question)
is there. So, basically my question is: "How do I boot a lifimage from
a CD?"

[cut]

> > I'm quite desperate to be honest (and I think it shows). The machines I
> > have have to be returned to HP in .nl soon (they're from the demo pool,
> > trying to port yet another distro (ROCK Linux) to HPPA).
>
> cool - keep the p-l mailing list posted on your progress.

Well, I did most of the work for our sparc64 port and most of the stuff
actually is to know what's different from x86...but finding that out can
be quite cumbersome...
I don't expect too many problems. The distro is built on top of another
distro (much like Linux From Scratch) and Debian is a great distro to
use to build on. But before I get too detailed...

armijn

   armijn@nl.linux.org | http://people.nl.linux.org/~armijn/ | Penguin Power
                 http://nl.linux.org/ | Alles over Linux