[parisc-linux] config.guess default for parisc64

Thu, 16 May 2002 11:36:38 -0400 (EDT)

The config.guess default for parisc64 seems wrong to me.  The current
default is hppa64-unknown-linux-gnu.  With gcc, this results in a
64bit compiler being built.  However, there isn't a 64bit userland :-(

Under hpux11, the default on a "wide" 64bit machine is hppa2.0w-hp-hpux11*.
This configuration results in a 32bit native compiler which is what
most people want.  If you want a 64bit compiler, you have to explicitly
specify the host/target as hppa64.

At the moment, it is not possible to switch from 32bit to 64bit with
a compiler runtime option.  I know this is possible on sparc but I
believe there have been issues with libraries.  Thus, I don't think
a single gcc compiler for parisc64 is likely in the near term.

I imagine this was discussed before but I think we would be better
off with hppa2.0w-unknown-linux-gnu as the default.  This would
indicate a 32bit PA 2.0 architecture running on a 64bit wide kernel.

What do people think?

Dave