[parisc-linux] Dodgy SCSI in L2000

Grant Grundler grundler@dsl2.external.hp.com
Tue, 07 May 2002 00:21:18 -0600

"James Braid" wrote:
> Okay, I have got my RAID array working now :-)
>
> BUT...

Which kernel version?

> In the window I have open to the GSP (in a console session) on the
> L2000, I see this:
>
> sym4:0:0: ABORT operation started.
> sym4:0:0: ABORT operation timed-out.
> sym4:0:0: ABORT operation started.
> sym4:0:0: ABORT operation timed-out.

This suggests something is wrong with that device.
Are all RAID0 disks internal? Or connected to external box?
I see further down they seem to be working fine individually.

> It also does the same thing using the sym5c8xx version 1 driver as well
> as the version 2 driver (the above errors are from the version 2
> driver).

Can you post lspci -v output from you L2000?
I just want to verify the built-in SCSI chips are the
same as on my A500: sym53c896.

> One thing I have noticed with mke2fs is that the indode table numbers
> tick away pretty fast until it gets to 205, then it slows down big time,
> and then it speeds up again until it gets to ~340, at which point the
> scsi ABORT errors will sometimes start happening.

I noticed the slow down/speed up when I built the RAID0 on the B180 as well.
No idea what causes it though.

> I have tested all the disks individually (making filesystems, running
> dbench), and the filesystems get made fine, and dbench works okay up to
> about 100 odd clients.

Can you try running two different dbench instances at the some time on
two different disks?

I had to steal the serial port from my A500 or I could do more
to at least reproduce this.