[parisc-linux] Mozilla, etc.

Andrew Shugg andrew@neep.com.au
Thu, 28 Mar 2002 20:18:00 +0800

Quoth David Dougall:
> PS: is there any hope of a jre on parisc-linux?

I would say definitely, after this recent press release from the Apache
Software Foundation:

  http://www.apache.org/foundation/news.html

(linking to)

  http://www1.internetwire.com/iwire/release_html_b1?release_id=39838

"ASF reaches agreement with Sun Microsystems to allow open source Java
implementations."

What I _think_ this means (after reading through the full article) is
that we're going to see fully open, 100%-approved Java implementations
running natively in Linux and other alternative operating systems in the
near future.  I don't know what the current issues (if any) are with
building the jdk1.1 or jdk1.2 packages under linux-hppa, but I would
hope that following this announcement HP will (somehow) be able to
assist in getting a production-ready JRE into linux-hppa.

(Caveat: I could have this all wrong of course.)

Once HPUX binary compatibility is working properly the HPUX JRE could
probably be used as well, but if there's a comparable native solution I
don't know if many people will go to that effort.

Andrew.

--
Andrew Shugg <andrew@neep.com.au>                   http://www.neep.com.au/

"Just remember, Mr Fawlty, there's always someone worse off than yourself."
"Is there?  Well I'd like to meet him.  I could do with a good laugh."