[parisc-linux] SMP support

M. Grabert xam@cs.ucc.ie
Wed, 20 Mar 2002 22:16:46 +0000 (GMT)

On Tue, 5 Mar 2002, Grant Grundler wrote:

> Jeremy Drake wrote:

[...]

> > Also, I am unable to build any kernels myself.  I get a bunch of depmod
> > errors, like these
> >
> > depmod: Unhandled relocation of type 74 for printk_Rsmp_dd132261
> > depmod: Unhandled relocation of type 74 for usb_deregister_Rsmp_c6f994d5
>
> I've seen this when CONFIG_PA20 is enabled but CONFIG_PARISC64 is not.
> Don't know if that's your problem, but it's worth checking.
>
> You don't need to enable CONFIG_PA20 in order to run a 32-bit kernel
> on any system that will support 32-bit kernels (A500/L-class only
> support 64-bit kernel).

I can confirm this. I recompiled (3 times) linux-2.4.18-pa5, and I was
just able to compile a static kernel without error message.
The message will occur if you compile a kernel with modules. It's the
depmod command in "make modules_install" that causes the trouble.

But obviously the modules are created and installed. If you do a
simple "depmod -a" (without any additional arguments as in
"make modules_install"), it doesn't complain.
And it also seems that the modules work (haven't tested this too much)!

greetings max