[parisc-linux] Mounting HPUX volumes/disks under PA-LINUX

Martin K. Petersen mkp@mkp.net
20 Mar 2002 10:08:43 -0500

Chris> 1. I tried using sistina.com's LVM to try to mount a HPUX
Chris>    volume - and found out after testing (and reading from this
Chris>    list) that the two LVMs are NOT the same, nor even similar -
Chris>    except for the executable names.

Linux LVM is modelled after HP/UX'. But they don't share a common
codebase.

Chris> 2. I also tried mounting a HPUX full-disk partition, and
Chris>    palinux GRONKED and couldn't even recognize that the disk
Chris>    had a partition.

Huhm.  Odd.  That used to work.

Chris> 3. I tried loading the HPUX executables for vgscan, vg-pv-lv
Chris>    whatever, to see if they would work. No dice, if they were
Chris>    dynamically linked, I might be able to load the
Chris>    corresponding library to get them to work - but alas, they
Chris>    are statically linked. I get mmap failures when I try to use
Chris>    them.

The userland utilities are not going to help you without being able to
talk to the HP/UX kernel LVM driver.

Chris> Is there a way to do this? Has anyone had success in mounting
Chris> HPUX volumes/partitions? (JFS or HFS). Is there a plan to make
Chris> this work?

We can read HFS filesystems.  JFS (aka VxFS) may work now.  I sent
Christoph Hellwig some fs images to play with, anyway.

You can't access HP LVM volumes under Linux and nobody is working on
fixing that.  Given a bit of header file snooping and the EVMS plugin
infrastructure it should be too hard to do.

--
Martin K. Petersen      Cereal Bowl Engineer, Linuxcare, Inc.
http://mkp.net/         SGI XFS, Linux/PA-RISC, GNOME