[parisc-linux] PA-RISC 0.9.3+C200+Visualize-EG+2.4.18-pa05 = working X!

John hplinux@eagle.grdl.noaa.gov
Thu, 14 Mar 2002 15:41:18 -0500

Grant Grundler wrote:

> John wrote:
>>
>> I saw your post from this weekend. Did you actually get X working on your
>> C3000 with the Visualize-EG?! If a mere mortal can patch the kernel (or you
>> have it available) I'd love to try it on my C200 to see if it works now
>> too.
>
> patch is on ftp.p-l.o/patches/entry.S-diff.
> Then:
>         cd /usr/src/linux
>         patch -p0 < entry.S-diff
>         make vmlinux
>
> I don't have any kernels suitable for C200 built since I remove ccio driver
> from the c3k builds. I expect to commit the patch today or tomorrow and can
> build "generic" kernels then.

I wanted to share the good news that Grant's recent patch to "entry.S" yields a
new kernel (2.4.18-pa05) which allows X-windows to work on my C200 with
Visualize-EG graphics. Before installing the patch I would get an HPMC when X
tried to start. I got gdm up & running fine, but have had some troubles with KDE
that I hope to resolve. The 8-bit color isn't great, but that's all I've got!
Thanks Grant!

John