[parisc-linux] 'foreign' PCI cards in an rp2430

Duraid Madina duraid@fl.net.au
Sat, 9 Mar 2002 07:30:30 +1100

Martin wrote:
> I don't think there are high hopes for the 3ware card.  At
> least not unless you preconfigure it on a PC.

For sure.

> Alpha happens to work because its firmware includes a simple
> x86 simulator that executes the BIOS code on the card.  That
> way you can configure your disk setup, etc.

Oops, I think I was misleading when I said 3ware 'worked' in Alpha - 3dm
doesn't (of course) and yes, you need to do all array administration
stuff out of the BIOS on a PC.

> We don't have similar functionality on PA-RISC.  So you are
> limited what can be done from within Linux.

Well, so long as it can find the array and read/write, I'm set.

> Unfortunately the 3ware management utility is 386
> binary-only. I.e. you can't configure the card once you get
> Linux up and running either.

I have to admit, I find hardly any need for that tool even in x86 land
;)

	Duraid