[parisc-linux] 'foreign' PCI cards in an rp2430

Martin K. Petersen mkp@mkp.net
08 Mar 2002 10:33:34 -0500

>> Alpha happens to work because its firmware includes a simple x86
>> simulator that executes the BIOS code on the card.  That way you
>> can configure your disk setup, etc.

Alan> There is btw a passable x86 emulator for free in the XFree86
Alan> code that is used to do things like boot video cards.

Yep.  It's going to take a fairly big hammer to beat libint10 into
submission, though.  Interactively mocking with disk configuration and
whatnot is a bit more complex than kicking off some init fluff on a
video card.

>> Unfortunately the 3ware management utility is 386 binary-only.
>> I.e. you can't configure the card once you get Linux up and running
>> either.

Alan> Bochs 8)

It would actually be useful to hack it so we had a generic way of
running x86 card ROMs on non-{PC,Alpha,Itanium} architectures.

--
Martin K. Petersen      Cereal Bowl Engineer, Linuxcare, Inc.
http://mkp.net/         SGI XFS, Linux/PA-RISC, GNOME